Skip to main content

{Social Distancing: Week 5 (SDW5)}

Phew! This week was hard for so many reasons, especially since we are coming off Spring Break, but the reason that stands out the most is simply me missing my "old" life- the life prior to social distancing and coronavirus- and the many things (and people) I took for granted. 

I walked a lot this week, which was good because it gave me time to clear my head and focus on the beauty of the world around me. A really bad storm passed through parts of the city late Sunday night, and when I walked early Tuesday morning, the devastation seemed just as bad as it had the day before. But, there were so many beautiful parallels to what we, the world, are experiencing that it sort of took my breath away. 

Huge trees were uprooted or even split and broken in half. Branches and leaves were everywhere, covering the roads and yards. Power lines were down and some parts of the city were without for several days. As I walked and saw the devastation, I also saw the flowers which continued to bloom and flourish. The squirrels and birds who carried on life as usual. The worms (and there were plenty of them) who wiggled their way back to the safety of the dirt and grass. All these sights made me realize that despite being knocked down, I didn't have to stay there, and I shouldn't. I needed to get back to life as usual, or at least as usual as it gets during this time. 

So, what does that look like, exactly? Well, I'm not really sure. I know I need to spend more time focusing on my relationship with those around me. My children have been thrust into this just as much as I have, and we all terribly miss our schools, our friends, and our routines. Homework just doesn't have the same meaning when you do it all day long! 

Along with my children, I need to focus on my relationship with my husband. We have been having virtual "date nights" with friends of ours. It is actually quite funny because all we do is play with silly filters on the video chat and take screen shots of them. But it's in those times of silliness that I find the joy in all this. It is so, so good to laugh as it definitely lightens the mood. I have found that I look forward to our weekly video chats as we sit on the patio by the fire. The simplicity of it all is actually rather comforting. Knowing that just being together is enough, more than enough, actually. 

We went fishing this weekend at a friend's pond. We were the only ones by the pond and only talked to our friends from the distance of our vehicles. As we sat by the water, I watched some of my girls as they tried to catch tadpoles. There were a few close calls with tumbles in the water, and after a while they just decided to risk it and simply stepped into the muck. While they were busy catching tadpoles and hanging onto tree branches to support themselves, the little boys just talked, cast their poles a few times, and mostly caused mischief. They tried to "free" the worms a few times, wanted to play with their older brother's bait and tackle, and snuck sips of my drink while I looked the other way. This family fishing trip was stressful at times, peaceful at times, but a lasting memory for sure, just as this pandemic is and will be! 





I have fond memories of going there when my oldest son, Thomas, was little. I don't remember exactly how old he was, but somewhere between the ages of 4 and 6. He, like the girls had been doing this time, was trying to catch something near the surface of the water. Thomas slipped and fell in! Thankfully it wasn't deep water and he was mostly muddy and completely wet. It served a good lesson on being careful around water and always watching where you step. He was so embarrassed when it happened that we had to leave. 

As I sat at the pond this past weekend, I thought about Thomas and that particular day. It seems like it was only yesterday when in reality, it has been at least 10 years. I have learned through all this time at home, away from the distractions of life, that time is something that cannot be stopped and is definitely limited. 

I plan to make better use of my time, and I am thankful for this opportunity to do so. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Thirteen #4

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 places I have been or would like to go. . . 1. Santiago, Chile, South America This was my first trip when I was in the military. It was awesome! 2. Virginia Beach, Virginia, U.S. Traveled here with the military. I had a great time, although I only stayed for a few nights. It was too cold to swim in the ocean but it was nice to see the beach. 3. Palermo, Sicily, Europe This is my family's roots. My great-grandparents immigrated to the U.S. from Palermo, and it was so awesome to be able to share in my heritage. I traveled here while in the military, and I loved every bit of this country. Mt. Etna is also located in Sicily, and on several occasions (I've been to Sicily several times), Mt. Etna was erupting. It was majestic to see, especially at night. Too many highlights to say what my favorite part of this country was, but the memories I hold will definitely last a lifetime. 4. Rota, Spain, Europe Again, traveled here with the military.

Thursday Thirteen #3

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 jobs I have held. . . 1. Special Olympics Swim Coach Best job ever and very rewarding! 2. Preschool/Youth swim instructor My first job (I volunteered until I got hired on at the Y, then I was paid.) 3. Lifeguard This was my first paid job. 4. Crew Chief/aircraft mechanic on the KC-10 I loved it- I saw the world on this plane and pushed myself the farthest mentally and physically I ever have or ever will again. Of course I missed my family and friends, but if I had to do it all over again, I would in a heartbeat. 5. Debrief personnel I talked with aircrews after they landed about their flight/mission. I learned the logistical side of flying. 6. Tool Crib personnel I gave the mechanics tools for various jobs needed to fix the airplane. I also inventoried and ordered new tools, and that was fun. Until this job, I had no idea that tool companies have a representative drive around in a truck full of tools for people to use and try. It was during t

Thursday Thirteen #6

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 Pictures from my life. . . Th, May 2007 Ta, May 2007 At the OBX, June 2007 Ta, OBX 2007 T.G. and Jenna, 1 of our dogs Th turning 5 in Sep. 2007 Eating cake, Sep. 2007 Me and TJ at the Wilds At the zoo, Oct. 2007 Nov. 2007 Thanksgiving 2007 Christmas 2007 All of us Get the Thursday Thirteen code here! The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted! View More Thursday Thirteen Participants