Monday, June 23, 2008

Urgent Prayer Request

Erin, my sis, has been running a fever of 103 or higher since mid-May. She has gone to a doctor close to her home (NOT a military doctor- a private physician) several times, has had some testing done (i.e. an ultrasound on her kidneys and liver and other blood work) and has had no relief. She is weak and very tired. This past Friday my mom flew down to drive Erin and Kaylee back to Ohio so Erin could have help with the baby. Sunday morning she was so weak she could barely lift her head off the pillow. My mom took her temperature and her fever was 104, so my mom rushed her to the hospital.

Because of her low blood pressure and high fever, she was seen immediately in the Emergency Room and was admitted to the Critical Care Unit (CCU) last night. At first she was going to be admitted to the ICU but because her blood pressure stabilized, they moved her up one level. She was given fluids for dehydration and an antibiotic to help reduce the fever. She was doing better until about 10pm when her eyes started swelling. They are still swollen today, and the doctor thinks it is a reaction to the antibiotic. She was taken off the antibiotic and the fever returned. She ran a high fever all night.

Since she is in the CCU, she has been unable to see, hold, or feed Kaylee. This has been very difficult for both of them, and also my dad and brother (who have been babysitting!). Like T.G., Kaylee refuses to take a bottle and cries for her mommy. My mom said Kaylee finally drank a little bit of formula this afternoon, but this is the first she has really eaten since Sunday morning. Erin is very worried about Kaylee (of course!), and found it difficult to sleep last night. I, too, found it difficult to sleep because I know what my mom and everyone else is going through with the bottle issues! I am just thankful Kaylee finally took a little bit of formula today.

My sis will be in the hospital indefinitely. Along with the fever, she has a rash that started on her chest and has since spread to her arms and legs. A dermatologist came in this morning to look at it, and will be back sometime today to do a biopsy. Erin was told that it would be like a pin-prick, but my mom said the doctor decided to actually cut part of the rash out to look under the microscope. This will be very painful and require stitches to heal. She has had X-rays, blood tests, and an MRI performed so far in search of a diagnosis. An infectious disease doctor also came in to ask some questions and examine her, so hopefully she will find out the cause of her ailments soon. No one has really said anything.

My mom (and Erin and I) are upset that her primary care doctor (at home) that she has been seeing has not taken her high fevers seriously, but that is another story. For now, please pray for some answers as well as for strength for Kaylee as she is away from Erin, my mom as she cares for Kaylee and my sis at the hospital, and my dad and my brother as they help with babysitting. I wish I could go and help them, but I can’t, so also pray for my anxiety to lessen with being so far away.

I will update more as I find out more.


*I am thankful that my mom was insistent on bringing Erin back to Ohio rather than leaving her alone to care for Kaylee. I am thankful for the hospital staff who is caring for her, and I am thankful for the opportunity to go to the Lord in prayer on behalf of Erin.*