Skip to main content

Urgent Prayer Request

Erin, my sis, has been running a fever of 103 or higher since mid-May. She has gone to a doctor close to her home (NOT a military doctor- a private physician) several times, has had some testing done (i.e. an ultrasound on her kidneys and liver and other blood work) and has had no relief. She is weak and very tired. This past Friday my mom flew down to drive Erin and Kaylee back to Ohio so Erin could have help with the baby. Sunday morning she was so weak she could barely lift her head off the pillow. My mom took her temperature and her fever was 104, so my mom rushed her to the hospital.

Because of her low blood pressure and high fever, she was seen immediately in the Emergency Room and was admitted to the Critical Care Unit (CCU) last night. At first she was going to be admitted to the ICU but because her blood pressure stabilized, they moved her up one level. She was given fluids for dehydration and an antibiotic to help reduce the fever. She was doing better until about 10pm when her eyes started swelling. They are still swollen today, and the doctor thinks it is a reaction to the antibiotic. She was taken off the antibiotic and the fever returned. She ran a high fever all night.

Since she is in the CCU, she has been unable to see, hold, or feed Kaylee. This has been very difficult for both of them, and also my dad and brother (who have been babysitting!). Like T.G., Kaylee refuses to take a bottle and cries for her mommy. My mom said Kaylee finally drank a little bit of formula this afternoon, but this is the first she has really eaten since Sunday morning. Erin is very worried about Kaylee (of course!), and found it difficult to sleep last night. I, too, found it difficult to sleep because I know what my mom and everyone else is going through with the bottle issues! I am just thankful Kaylee finally took a little bit of formula today.

My sis will be in the hospital indefinitely. Along with the fever, she has a rash that started on her chest and has since spread to her arms and legs. A dermatologist came in this morning to look at it, and will be back sometime today to do a biopsy. Erin was told that it would be like a pin-prick, but my mom said the doctor decided to actually cut part of the rash out to look under the microscope. This will be very painful and require stitches to heal. She has had X-rays, blood tests, and an MRI performed so far in search of a diagnosis. An infectious disease doctor also came in to ask some questions and examine her, so hopefully she will find out the cause of her ailments soon. No one has really said anything.

My mom (and Erin and I) are upset that her primary care doctor (at home) that she has been seeing has not taken her high fevers seriously, but that is another story. For now, please pray for some answers as well as for strength for Kaylee as she is away from Erin, my mom as she cares for Kaylee and my sis at the hospital, and my dad and my brother as they help with babysitting. I wish I could go and help them, but I can’t, so also pray for my anxiety to lessen with being so far away.

I will update more as I find out more.


*I am thankful that my mom was insistent on bringing Erin back to Ohio rather than leaving her alone to care for Kaylee. I am thankful for the hospital staff who is caring for her, and I am thankful for the opportunity to go to the Lord in prayer on behalf of Erin.*

Comments

Milly said…
Our prayers are with you and your family. Bless you all
jenn said…
i hope you don't mind, but I posted a link to this on my blog.

I hope erin is doing better. Let me know!
Carrie said…
I am a good friend of Jenn's and saw her prayer request on her blog. I will be keeping everyone in my thoughts and prayers.

take care
carrie
Jennifer said…
I am a follower of Jenn's blog... and she had posted about your sister. I hope she is doing better. I am thinking of all of you and keeping you all in my prayers, especially Erin and Kaylee.

God bless!

HUGS!!! jenn
A simple being said…
i dont come around much but found your sisters story interesting to share this with you...a lady at my husbands work had a similar situation and her ob ignored her symptoms for 4 months after the birth of their son, ended up she had toxic shock syndrome, the one related to tampon useage etc, and when they did the dc they found very small shreds of the placenta had grown tothe uterus...it was very complicated but recently having a baby many times drs ignore the female organ region and fever, rash and sudden onset of allergens is the most persistent sign and symptoms of conditions like this...just an idea, cant hurt to mention and id hate forthis to be it and i never did. will keep your all close in my heart with prayers.....

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Thirteen #4

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 places I have been or would like to go. . . 1. Santiago, Chile, South America This was my first trip when I was in the military. It was awesome! 2. Virginia Beach, Virginia, U.S. Traveled here with the military. I had a great time, although I only stayed for a few nights. It was too cold to swim in the ocean but it was nice to see the beach. 3. Palermo, Sicily, Europe This is my family's roots. My great-grandparents immigrated to the U.S. from Palermo, and it was so awesome to be able to share in my heritage. I traveled here while in the military, and I loved every bit of this country. Mt. Etna is also located in Sicily, and on several occasions (I've been to Sicily several times), Mt. Etna was erupting. It was majestic to see, especially at night. Too many highlights to say what my favorite part of this country was, but the memories I hold will definitely last a lifetime. 4. Rota, Spain, Europe Again, traveled here with the military.

Thursday Thirteen #3

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 jobs I have held. . . 1. Special Olympics Swim Coach Best job ever and very rewarding! 2. Preschool/Youth swim instructor My first job (I volunteered until I got hired on at the Y, then I was paid.) 3. Lifeguard This was my first paid job. 4. Crew Chief/aircraft mechanic on the KC-10 I loved it- I saw the world on this plane and pushed myself the farthest mentally and physically I ever have or ever will again. Of course I missed my family and friends, but if I had to do it all over again, I would in a heartbeat. 5. Debrief personnel I talked with aircrews after they landed about their flight/mission. I learned the logistical side of flying. 6. Tool Crib personnel I gave the mechanics tools for various jobs needed to fix the airplane. I also inventoried and ordered new tools, and that was fun. Until this job, I had no idea that tool companies have a representative drive around in a truck full of tools for people to use and try. It was during t

Thursday Thirteen #6

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 Pictures from my life. . . Th, May 2007 Ta, May 2007 At the OBX, June 2007 Ta, OBX 2007 T.G. and Jenna, 1 of our dogs Th turning 5 in Sep. 2007 Eating cake, Sep. 2007 Me and TJ at the Wilds At the zoo, Oct. 2007 Nov. 2007 Thanksgiving 2007 Christmas 2007 All of us Get the Thursday Thirteen code here! The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted! View More Thursday Thirteen Participants