Skip to main content

6 years in 10 minutes

It has been almost 3 years since my youngest was born, and about that same time, my life drastically changed. My older children at the time were 14, 12, 10, 8, and 7. My oldest was finally old enough and responsible enough to babysit. Now, to be clear, I didn't leave all of the children with him, but it was nice to be able to run errands and not have to take EVERYONE. That little fact was seriously life-changing. Additionally, my older children had acquired more responsibility at home in terms of life skills: they did (still do!) their own laundry, keep up with their rooms, can prepare full meals, and a host of other skills 100% independently. It took so long to get to that point, though, and the time between me being 100% responsible to them being fully responsible was the hard part. Like seriously, if you read back through my previous posts, you will see the struggles I openly shared as a mom and wife. Life ain't easy!

And that brings us to now. 2020. My oldest is now 17, a high school SENIOR, and has been accepted to Clemson University (Go Tigers!). I stopped homeschooling him in 2017 at which time he started at York Prep Academy. However, he does dual enrollment so he actually doesn't go to the high school at all. His classes are all through our local community college and it has been a perfect fit for him/our family. He is earning both high school and college credit (hence the term "dual enrollment") but more than that, he has taken 100% responsibility for his education. I have no idea when his papers are due, when he has a quiz/exam, etc. He just knows if he fails a class, he doesn't graduate high school (since he needs the credits). This is his second year doing dual enrollment and so far, he has made As and Bs.

My second child is turning 15 in 3 weeks, which means he will start driving. I CANNOT WAIT! This boy has had his own lawn business since he was 7. Seriously. It started with mowing/blowing neighbors' yards, but over the years, his business has expanded to basically all of Rock Hill. Between us (his parents) and his older brother, he keeps us running him around every weekend during the school year and every day during the summer. Don't get me wrong, I am extremely proud of his work ethic and determination. He has saved up, purchased, and sold several commercial mowers over the years, and he continues to upgrade his "fleet," as he calls it. When he gets full driving privileges (next fall), there will be a celebration at our house, for sure! :)

To save time and so as not to bore you, I will briefly share the current ages of my other children as well as introduce you to the youngest two.

Tristin-Grace is now 13 and in 7th grade, Teagan is 11 and in 5th, Annie is (almost) 10 and in 4th, Taryn is 8 and in 2nd, and Ruthie is 6 and in 1st grade. Titus is turning 5 on the same day as Tanner and will start kindergarten in the fall. He is so much like Tanner it's crazy! Tobias is the baby and he will be 3 in April. He has completed our family and I seriously cannot imagine life without any of my kiddos. Like I wrote above, life ain't easy, especially with kids and all that comes with them, but it sure is sweet!

Now, a little about me now that I am no longer homeschooling...

I am in my 2nd year teaching 4K at a local preschool. I was a little apprehensive about teaching this particular age group, but I LOVE it! I can totally see God's hand in putting me where I am today, and I am so thankful. Paid teaching has provided me an outlet that I was missing for so many years. Being a SAHM can be very isolating, and for me it was (again, read back through my posts and you'll see what I mean). But also, having a large family is also very isolating- who wants to have a family of 11 over for dinner? Not many are willing, and I don't blame them. So that put the burden on me to entertain if I wanted to have friends over. And that added more to my "plate" which produced more anxiety. The anxiety led to be not wanting to do it because of the added work load, and that lead to depression. It was a viscous cycle that I was in for so.many.years. Too many years.

Going back to work allowed me to have adult interactions, time away from own kids, and most importantly, time to do what I love, which is teaching. I am happiest when I am at school as I love my job, my class, and all that goes with it. Don't get me wrong- I love my family and enjoy them, as well, but it is different. I eat, sleep, and breathe teaching. I enjoy researching best-practices for certain challenges in the classroom, I love planning and implementing fun lessons, and most of all, I love to see the growth the children make over the course of the year. My brain is challenged differently at school than it is when I am at home.

So, that's the past several years in a nutshell.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Thirteen #4

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 places I have been or would like to go. . . 1. Santiago, Chile, South America This was my first trip when I was in the military. It was awesome! 2. Virginia Beach, Virginia, U.S. Traveled here with the military. I had a great time, although I only stayed for a few nights. It was too cold to swim in the ocean but it was nice to see the beach. 3. Palermo, Sicily, Europe This is my family's roots. My great-grandparents immigrated to the U.S. from Palermo, and it was so awesome to be able to share in my heritage. I traveled here while in the military, and I loved every bit of this country. Mt. Etna is also located in Sicily, and on several occasions (I've been to Sicily several times), Mt. Etna was erupting. It was majestic to see, especially at night. Too many highlights to say what my favorite part of this country was, but the memories I hold will definitely last a lifetime. 4. Rota, Spain, Europe Again, traveled here with the military.

Thursday Thirteen #3

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 jobs I have held. . . 1. Special Olympics Swim Coach Best job ever and very rewarding! 2. Preschool/Youth swim instructor My first job (I volunteered until I got hired on at the Y, then I was paid.) 3. Lifeguard This was my first paid job. 4. Crew Chief/aircraft mechanic on the KC-10 I loved it- I saw the world on this plane and pushed myself the farthest mentally and physically I ever have or ever will again. Of course I missed my family and friends, but if I had to do it all over again, I would in a heartbeat. 5. Debrief personnel I talked with aircrews after they landed about their flight/mission. I learned the logistical side of flying. 6. Tool Crib personnel I gave the mechanics tools for various jobs needed to fix the airplane. I also inventoried and ordered new tools, and that was fun. Until this job, I had no idea that tool companies have a representative drive around in a truck full of tools for people to use and try. It was during t

Thursday Thirteen #6

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 Pictures from my life. . . Th, May 2007 Ta, May 2007 At the OBX, June 2007 Ta, OBX 2007 T.G. and Jenna, 1 of our dogs Th turning 5 in Sep. 2007 Eating cake, Sep. 2007 Me and TJ at the Wilds At the zoo, Oct. 2007 Nov. 2007 Thanksgiving 2007 Christmas 2007 All of us Get the Thursday Thirteen code here! The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted! View More Thursday Thirteen Participants