Skip to main content

{School's Closed}




When we took these pictures, I had no idea these would be the last pictures we took as a class. Looking at them brings so much joy to my heart! What else could the smiles, the laughs, and the fun of dressing up and being silly bring to one’s heart?


Today my heart is hurting. I miss these kids. I miss the hugs, the excitement of sharing in their lives, and the thrill of witnessing them master a skill. I miss my right-hand man (woman) who is so much more to me than my assistant. She is my friend, my idea-bouncer, and the peanut butter to my jelly. She is just as important to the success of the year as I am as the teacher. 

We were only a few days away from Family Day, which is the day we sing songs and reveal the art work we have been secretly working on for the past 3 months. The stress of planning the artwork and executing the process was almost to an end, and I was both thankful and excited to reach that point in the year. I had already begun planning our next big thing, the 4K Circus. The Circus is our version of a graduation, only cuter. The children perform acts and then the entire 4K sings some songs. We were going to tye-dye T-shirts and sign each other’s shirts as both a reminder and a memento of our time together in class this year. It is such a bittersweet time as these kids cross over from preschooler to kindergartner. 


I had more books to read, more songs to sing, and more dances to dance. I had more lessons to teach, especially in our study of the alphabet. Back in October when we started our letter focus, I collected the artwork we made each week that corresponded with the letter we were studying. I had planned to bind them into a personalize alphabet book for each parent and give it to them at the 4K Circus. We only made it to letter Tt. We had 6 more letters to go, yet we will never reach Zz, at least not as a class.


But more than anything, I had more love to give and I wasn’t ready for goodbyes. I wasn’t ready to walk out my classroom door and not return. It’s kind of ironic, but I had the children’s faces on some penguin cutouts for our Winter bulletin board hanging in the hallway. It was literally just their face- no human body, no neck, just a smiling face that was attached to a penguin. When I switched to the Spring bulletin board, I couldn’t bring myself to throw the faces in the garbage, but I didn’t know what else to do. So I hung them up on the cabinet above my sink until I could think of something. Each morning I would come in the classroom and set up for the day, and those faces would be smiling at me while I worked. I couldn’t help but smile back. If I had known on March 12th that I wouldn’t be back in my classroom or able to see those faces again, I would have brought them home to hang in my house.  I miss those little faces so unbelievably much!

I had completed Winter assessments on my students at the end of February. I was so proud of all they had learned this year, and I looked forward to seeing even more growth between Winter and Spring. Some of my students were just beginning to read, and we were going to work on building those skills. Some of my students were still struggling with number and letter recognition, and I had lots of fun activities planned to help them continue to learn. Some of my students were ready for simple addition, and I had a game for that, too. 


I know the Lord has a plan for this time in our world, and I know good will (and has already) come from it, but disappointment is a real thing and it is okay to feel it. I mourn for what we are missing out on, and what my own children are missing out on with their teachers and classes. I mourn for my own high school Senior who has no Senior prom, no time with friends in his final semester of high school, none of the experiences that most of us have in our Senior year. It hurts. I hurt. The parents of my students hurt. The kids are hurting especially because most don’t understand WHY we can’t be together at school. As much as I try to teach them, the concept of germs just isn’t something kids grasp until they are older, and even then most don’t care.


So for all the teachers out there who teach because they are passionate about what they do and who they influence, I see you. I feel your pain. I know your heart, and I know your heart is hurting. We spend so much time with these kids (usually more than our own children) and they leave each year taking a piece of our hearts with them. But that also just means that we love them, and love is the greatest gift of all. We love because He (Jesus) first loved us. I am so thankful to know what love is, and to know that I am loved. Stay strong, and use this time as a reminder to cherish the wonderful opportunity teaching (and parenting) affords us: to love and influence a future generation for good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Thirteen #4

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 places I have been or would like to go. . . 1. Santiago, Chile, South America This was my first trip when I was in the military. It was awesome! 2. Virginia Beach, Virginia, U.S. Traveled here with the military. I had a great time, although I only stayed for a few nights. It was too cold to swim in the ocean but it was nice to see the beach. 3. Palermo, Sicily, Europe This is my family's roots. My great-grandparents immigrated to the U.S. from Palermo, and it was so awesome to be able to share in my heritage. I traveled here while in the military, and I loved every bit of this country. Mt. Etna is also located in Sicily, and on several occasions (I've been to Sicily several times), Mt. Etna was erupting. It was majestic to see, especially at night. Too many highlights to say what my favorite part of this country was, but the memories I hold will definitely last a lifetime. 4. Rota, Spain, Europe Again, traveled here with the military.

Thursday Thirteen #3

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 jobs I have held. . . 1. Special Olympics Swim Coach Best job ever and very rewarding! 2. Preschool/Youth swim instructor My first job (I volunteered until I got hired on at the Y, then I was paid.) 3. Lifeguard This was my first paid job. 4. Crew Chief/aircraft mechanic on the KC-10 I loved it- I saw the world on this plane and pushed myself the farthest mentally and physically I ever have or ever will again. Of course I missed my family and friends, but if I had to do it all over again, I would in a heartbeat. 5. Debrief personnel I talked with aircrews after they landed about their flight/mission. I learned the logistical side of flying. 6. Tool Crib personnel I gave the mechanics tools for various jobs needed to fix the airplane. I also inventoried and ordered new tools, and that was fun. Until this job, I had no idea that tool companies have a representative drive around in a truck full of tools for people to use and try. It was during t

Thursday Thirteen #6

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 Pictures from my life. . . Th, May 2007 Ta, May 2007 At the OBX, June 2007 Ta, OBX 2007 T.G. and Jenna, 1 of our dogs Th turning 5 in Sep. 2007 Eating cake, Sep. 2007 Me and TJ at the Wilds At the zoo, Oct. 2007 Nov. 2007 Thanksgiving 2007 Christmas 2007 All of us Get the Thursday Thirteen code here! The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted! View More Thursday Thirteen Participants