Skip to main content

{Social Distancing: Week 1 (SDW1)}


I haven’t posted in a couple weeks, and I always process my thoughts/feelings better through writing, so this blog post is going to be somewhat lengthy. Stop reading whenever you are tired or bored, lol!

A week ago last Thursday my sister, who is the District Nurse for a district in OH, called me and told me her district was closing beginning Monday by order of the governor. I was a little surprised, but I understood. Fast forward to last Sunday afternoon. The governor of SC ordered all schools here to close, effective Monday, also. I was not surprised as between Thursday evening when my sister called to Sunday afternoon, several states had shut down schools.

While I wasn’t surprised, I also wasn’t prepared for what that meant. Schools closing have effectively turned my world upside down. And not just my world, but everyone’s. I am going to chronicle each week as we employ “social distancing” from our friends, classmates, and even family members.

Week 1: 3/16-3/22/20
I woke up early Monday morning with a fever. I had been experiencing horrible back pain all weekend and thought perhaps I was coming down with the flu. I had no other symptoms except the fever and back pain. I emailed my primary care doctor at the VA clinic and she referred me to urgent care to make sure I didn’t have a urinary tract or kidney infection. All basic testing came back normal so I was told to go to the hospital for more in-depth. I declined and went home instead.

Tuesday morning I felt 100% better. Distance learning (or E-learning) began for 3 of my kids. I got them going on their work and worked on some projects around the house that I had been putting off.  The weather was beautiful outside so the kids were outside for most of the day. I did not allow any friends or neighbors over, though, because I had been sick the day before.

Wednesday I had to go pick up the other kids’ schoolwork at their school. We came home and worked on a little bit of it with my first grader, but the kids mostly played outside.  I still did not allow friends over. By Wednesday I was really missing my class and was very emotional as the reality of the situation sunk in. I guess I thought at first it was going to be like a school break, but as the week went on, I realized there really is no end in sight. A parent in my class suggested everyone download a certain video chat app so everyone could see each other. We did, and seeing those sweet little faces brightened my day.

Thursday was the first day everyone had schoolwork to do. The kids all went to their respective work spots and Ruthie, my first grader, and I did her work together. It took us a couple of hours, but it wasn’t terrible. By lunch time everyone was finished so I let them play outside again. I did allow them to play with their friends later in the afternoon, but no one was permitted in the house. I spent a lot of time video chatting with the parents and kids in my class. It did my heart good to be able to “talk” to everyone!

Friday was a rough day. Ruthie’s schoolwork was taking us a long time and I was very discouraged. I had some things I wanted to do personally and couldn’t because she is not fully independent with her schoolwork. Also, my littlest guys (ages 5 and almost 3) would not play with each other well. They kept fighting and disrupting us as we tried to work in the kitchen. By 12:30pm I was so stressed with schoolwork we stopped for the day. She still has some work to complete, but I needed to quit. I did have an emotional break down but after spending some time outdoors, I felt better. I did allow my kids to play at their friends’ houses and allowed friends to play outdoors here, too. It was good for everyone to get some fresh air and to just “be kids.”

Saturday was spent hanging around the house and just doing odds and ends. Friends were outside here, and my kids were outside at others’. They enjoyed some sprinkler time and again, it was nice to just “be kids.”
Sunday, today, we socially isolated ourselves again. Pollen is bad and two of my kids woke up with headaches and sore throats. I texted their friends’ parents and informed them we were isolating ourselves again and shared why. I picked up some flowers for Tanner and me to plant together this week. Since we are isolating ourselves, I need something to do to keep my mind busy. 

Things I have learned this week:
  •       I don’t like doing school at home. Believe it or not, I find first grade to be challenging. Not so much the actual work but knowing how much support to give my daughter. We struggled with me helping too much or not enough. I still don’t have an answer.
  • We are going to be home for a while. No school, no eating out, no practices or lessons, nothing. I must find reasons to get dressed because it is not good for my mental state to stay in pajamas all day. I am going to shower, dress, and put on make-up just to give me a sense of normalcy in this very not-normal world.
  • I already didn’t like cooking, but now I must be more creative in my meals due to meat shortages. I have had to incorporate more meatless meals, which has proven to be difficult because of a gluten-allergy.
  • I must plan for this week and hold my kids to a schedule. Last week wasn’t terrible, but again, since we are in this for unforeseeable future, a better planned day can only benefit all of us. Things I need to plan out include daily snacks and snack time, a set lunch time, and a set time for their schoolwork to be completed. It will help all of us to know when each day’s work will end and give us a goal to work towards each day. I need to also plan activities for my little boys to do while we are doing schoolwork to help keep them out of trouble.
  • I need to set up a time for me to cook and bake. Even though I am home all day, I have found myself avoiding the kitchen. I do enjoy baking but keeping my kids out of trouble has proven more time consuming than I care to admit.
  • I need to take time to get outside each day, even if it’s just to sit and enjoy the sunshine. It is good for my mental health and the fresh air will help rejuvenate my attitude.

So, this has been our week in a nutshell. I am looking for the blessings in this whole situation, and there are several. As a social person I need to remind myself of this truth. It is easy to focus on all the negatives and ignore the positives.
I hope you have a great week as we enter Week 2. I am sure I have more lessons to learn this week and will share those accordingly next week. For now, I am off to make supper and prepare for the week ahead!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Thirteen #4

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 places I have been or would like to go. . . 1. Santiago, Chile, South America This was my first trip when I was in the military. It was awesome! 2. Virginia Beach, Virginia, U.S. Traveled here with the military. I had a great time, although I only stayed for a few nights. It was too cold to swim in the ocean but it was nice to see the beach. 3. Palermo, Sicily, Europe This is my family's roots. My great-grandparents immigrated to the U.S. from Palermo, and it was so awesome to be able to share in my heritage. I traveled here while in the military, and I loved every bit of this country. Mt. Etna is also located in Sicily, and on several occasions (I've been to Sicily several times), Mt. Etna was erupting. It was majestic to see, especially at night. Too many highlights to say what my favorite part of this country was, but the memories I hold will definitely last a lifetime. 4. Rota, Spain, Europe Again, traveled here with the military.

Thursday Thirteen #3

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 jobs I have held. . . 1. Special Olympics Swim Coach Best job ever and very rewarding! 2. Preschool/Youth swim instructor My first job (I volunteered until I got hired on at the Y, then I was paid.) 3. Lifeguard This was my first paid job. 4. Crew Chief/aircraft mechanic on the KC-10 I loved it- I saw the world on this plane and pushed myself the farthest mentally and physically I ever have or ever will again. Of course I missed my family and friends, but if I had to do it all over again, I would in a heartbeat. 5. Debrief personnel I talked with aircrews after they landed about their flight/mission. I learned the logistical side of flying. 6. Tool Crib personnel I gave the mechanics tools for various jobs needed to fix the airplane. I also inventoried and ordered new tools, and that was fun. Until this job, I had no idea that tool companies have a representative drive around in a truck full of tools for people to use and try. It was during t

Thursday Thirteen #6

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 Pictures from my life. . . Th, May 2007 Ta, May 2007 At the OBX, June 2007 Ta, OBX 2007 T.G. and Jenna, 1 of our dogs Th turning 5 in Sep. 2007 Eating cake, Sep. 2007 Me and TJ at the Wilds At the zoo, Oct. 2007 Nov. 2007 Thanksgiving 2007 Christmas 2007 All of us Get the Thursday Thirteen code here! The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted! View More Thursday Thirteen Participants