Skip to main content

Time Flies!

I haven’t updated in a few days but we’ve been busy. Saturday morning I got up early and T.G. and I left the house to run some errands before a friend of mine from church came over with her kids. I had asked her a while ago to paint a border on my chalk board (like back in January when TJ got the stuff to make it) but because the board wasn’t made, she obviously couldn’t do it. In the meantime we had asked my MIL to paint it, but she rarely comes out here and when she does visit, it would be difficult for her to paint because of the kids (just so you know, I don't mean that in a negative way. I'm simply saying we usually go to my inlaws instead of them coming here.) As it so happened, my friend’s husband is going through some financial struggles (he is an accountant for a real estate company- with the bad housing market, his hours have been cut in half) so I mentioned it to her again, offering to pay her a small fee. She offered to do it for free, but I couldn’t allow her to spend the time and materials on it for nothing. It took her about 2 hours, and it turned out SOOO cute! I love it! Plus, her kids entertained my kids for a little while, allowing TJ to get some stuff done outside while I supervised the kiddos playing.

Saturday evening we went out to supper with some other friends, and then went back to their house to play games and watch the Olympics. We had such a nice time. They are Christians, too, and at dinner, without being asked or prompted or anything, my friend’s husband prayed for our meal. This was the first time we have been out with them, so we weren’t really sure how they would handle prayer before the meal. We pray at restaurants, so TJ was prepared to say the blessing for us all. It was a nice surprise to have my friend’s husband pray.

Sunday was spent at church and resting. TJ and I didn’t get home until after midnight on Saturday, and then I had to take our sitter home, so it was close to 1am before I got to bed. I have been having difficulty sleeping, and Friday night was up until close to 2am. I was exhausted when we got home from church yesterday, but I needed to clear off my bed before I could nap. I had piled up clothes and bedding for Taco. I put the sheets on the crib mattress and got the bumper up, the mobile put together and hung, and then placed all the clean clothes back in the crib for storage until we get a dresser. I laid down about 2pm and didn’t wake until almost 3:30pm. That was a nice, well-deserved break! When I woke, it was time to get supper going and get ready to head back to church.

Today was spent ironing clothes (yes, I used the infamous iron!) for when I begin my Field Experience. I hate ironing, and although TJ does the ironing for me if I ask him, I just figured I had the time and might as well do it. So, I got all of my dress clothes ironed and ready-to-wear for school. I also ran some more errands and picked up some shorts for both T.G. and Th on clearance. Each of them only had 3 pair of shorts that were nice enough to wear in public! :)

Th had Open House night at his school so we went and saw his classroom, met his assistant teacher, and some other kids in his class. The school staggers start dates, so for the first week, only the kindergarten students attend. Then, next week, the 4-year-olds begin, and the week after is when the 3-year-olds begin. Th is very nervous about beginning a new school with new kids, which is understandable considering he has spent the past 4 years at the same preschool. Although the teacher changed each year, he still knew all the teachers and most of the kids in his class. He doesn’t know anyone this year, the school is obviously much bigger, and more is to be expected from him. I know he’ll do fine, and I’m glad it will be only the kindergarten students the first week (as there are only 6 kindergarten students in his class). I have a surprise for him tomorrow night that I hope will cheer him up. I love books, and my kids love books, and we give books as gifts to most everyone we know. I bought him a book, called “The Kissing Hand” by Audrey Penn. It’s about a mother sending her son to school for the first time. We’ve read it before, but maybe because he owns it, he’ll remember it on Wednesday when I kiss him goodbye.

After Open House, TJ and I took him out to dinner (his choice- Ryan’s) and then we went shopping for a dresser. We finally agreed on one AND purchased it. It’s sitting in my garage waiting to be assembled. We’ll see how long it takes for that to happen! LOL! (just kidding, T).

Tomorrow we are headed to the pool for one last summer swim. I also have to go the pottery place because Th is having his birthday party there. He needs to pick out the piece that he wants to have everyone paint. He is looking forward to his party, and after we pick out the pottery piece, we can decide on a party theme. He is considering a cowboy theme, but he can’t decide between that or a construction party. Oh, to have those types of dilemmas as the sole focus of my life! :)


*I am thankful for opportunities to spend time alone with each of my children. Their personalities are so different and unique, and one-on-one time affords me an inside look at the individual child, focusing solely on his/her needs.*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Thirteen #4

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 places I have been or would like to go. . . 1. Santiago, Chile, South America This was my first trip when I was in the military. It was awesome! 2. Virginia Beach, Virginia, U.S. Traveled here with the military. I had a great time, although I only stayed for a few nights. It was too cold to swim in the ocean but it was nice to see the beach. 3. Palermo, Sicily, Europe This is my family's roots. My great-grandparents immigrated to the U.S. from Palermo, and it was so awesome to be able to share in my heritage. I traveled here while in the military, and I loved every bit of this country. Mt. Etna is also located in Sicily, and on several occasions (I've been to Sicily several times), Mt. Etna was erupting. It was majestic to see, especially at night. Too many highlights to say what my favorite part of this country was, but the memories I hold will definitely last a lifetime. 4. Rota, Spain, Europe Again, traveled here with the military.

Thursday Thirteen #3

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 jobs I have held. . . 1. Special Olympics Swim Coach Best job ever and very rewarding! 2. Preschool/Youth swim instructor My first job (I volunteered until I got hired on at the Y, then I was paid.) 3. Lifeguard This was my first paid job. 4. Crew Chief/aircraft mechanic on the KC-10 I loved it- I saw the world on this plane and pushed myself the farthest mentally and physically I ever have or ever will again. Of course I missed my family and friends, but if I had to do it all over again, I would in a heartbeat. 5. Debrief personnel I talked with aircrews after they landed about their flight/mission. I learned the logistical side of flying. 6. Tool Crib personnel I gave the mechanics tools for various jobs needed to fix the airplane. I also inventoried and ordered new tools, and that was fun. Until this job, I had no idea that tool companies have a representative drive around in a truck full of tools for people to use and try. It was during t

Thursday Thirteen #6

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 Pictures from my life. . . Th, May 2007 Ta, May 2007 At the OBX, June 2007 Ta, OBX 2007 T.G. and Jenna, 1 of our dogs Th turning 5 in Sep. 2007 Eating cake, Sep. 2007 Me and TJ at the Wilds At the zoo, Oct. 2007 Nov. 2007 Thanksgiving 2007 Christmas 2007 All of us Get the Thursday Thirteen code here! The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted! View More Thursday Thirteen Participants