Skip to main content

The WILDS

TJ and I visited the Wilds Christian Camp in Brevard, NC this weekend with some very good friends. Words cannot describe the sense of renewal and refreshment we left with on Saturday evening. It was evident that the Lord used various situations this past week to prepare us for this weekend, and coupled with the preaching we received, we left better prepared to lead lives pleasing to Christ.

Pastor Dan Brooks of Heritage Bible Church in Greer, SC preached several messages on love from 1 Corinthians 13:4-8. I have read, been preached to, and even taught this passage several times prior to this trip. However, Pastor Brooks applied this message in a different, more appropriate way, and both TJ and I were convicted of sinning against each other in various ways within our marriage. Basically, Pastor Brooks preached the concept of living the gospel each day, not just the day of salvation. Now, if you are not saved, this won’t make much sense to you. However, if you are saved, it’s basically turning to the One who loved first: God.

It was because of God’s love for us that we are saved and find mercy and forgiveness at the Cross. When we are tempted to be bitter, irritated, etc. with others because we feel we have been wronged, we are to remember how God loved us. God is patient, God is kind. God does not boast. God does not rejoice in iniquity but rather rejoices in truth. God never fails (1 Corinthians 13:4-8). By replacing the word ‘love’ with God in the above verses, we get a better picture of what the Lord requires us to do. Remember how broken you were when you got saved. You admitted your wrongdoing and accepted the forgiveness Jesus had to offer. God requires us to have that same repentant heart daily, and to extend it to others as He has extended it to us.

We also had plenty of time to reflect on God and His goodness. This time alone with the Lord allowed for us to make some decisions in our lives. One major decision I made over the weekend was to have more children now. I had always planned to have more but wanted to wait until I was finished with school. I have 1 more year to go (only 8 classes!) but the Lord has really been convicting me to have more in His time, not mine. Some verses used to convict me are Psalm 127:3-5. These verses compare children to arrows, and blessed (happy) is the man whose quiver is full of arrows. I haven't shared that with anyone, as most people in my family think I am crazy to want 4 or more children. We'll see what happens. Now that I've agreed, I may not be able to get pregnant again or it won't happen for a while. I don't really care; it's more of a heart matter between me and the Lord. The important thing is that I am willing to submit to God's control over my life instead of me trying to control it. I can't really describe it- I hope it makes sense.

Along with the preaching, we had plenty of free time to enjoy ourselves. Probably the most exciting time for me was the Giant Swing (see the pictures). It is 75 feet in the air, and is AWESOME! We also went on a hike, rode the “land trolley” and enjoyed coffee equivalent to that of Starbucks. The food was wonderful and the time spent with friends even better. TJ has promised me a return trip in February for a Valentine’s Day retreat; I can’t wait!

Comments

jenn said…
I'm glad you guys had so much fun!
More kids for me to love? YEAH!!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Thirteen #4

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 places I have been or would like to go. . . 1. Santiago, Chile, South America This was my first trip when I was in the military. It was awesome! 2. Virginia Beach, Virginia, U.S. Traveled here with the military. I had a great time, although I only stayed for a few nights. It was too cold to swim in the ocean but it was nice to see the beach. 3. Palermo, Sicily, Europe This is my family's roots. My great-grandparents immigrated to the U.S. from Palermo, and it was so awesome to be able to share in my heritage. I traveled here while in the military, and I loved every bit of this country. Mt. Etna is also located in Sicily, and on several occasions (I've been to Sicily several times), Mt. Etna was erupting. It was majestic to see, especially at night. Too many highlights to say what my favorite part of this country was, but the memories I hold will definitely last a lifetime. 4. Rota, Spain, Europe Again, traveled here with the military.

Thursday Thirteen #3

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 jobs I have held. . . 1. Special Olympics Swim Coach Best job ever and very rewarding! 2. Preschool/Youth swim instructor My first job (I volunteered until I got hired on at the Y, then I was paid.) 3. Lifeguard This was my first paid job. 4. Crew Chief/aircraft mechanic on the KC-10 I loved it- I saw the world on this plane and pushed myself the farthest mentally and physically I ever have or ever will again. Of course I missed my family and friends, but if I had to do it all over again, I would in a heartbeat. 5. Debrief personnel I talked with aircrews after they landed about their flight/mission. I learned the logistical side of flying. 6. Tool Crib personnel I gave the mechanics tools for various jobs needed to fix the airplane. I also inventoried and ordered new tools, and that was fun. Until this job, I had no idea that tool companies have a representative drive around in a truck full of tools for people to use and try. It was during t

Thursday Thirteen #6

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 Pictures from my life. . . Th, May 2007 Ta, May 2007 At the OBX, June 2007 Ta, OBX 2007 T.G. and Jenna, 1 of our dogs Th turning 5 in Sep. 2007 Eating cake, Sep. 2007 Me and TJ at the Wilds At the zoo, Oct. 2007 Nov. 2007 Thanksgiving 2007 Christmas 2007 All of us Get the Thursday Thirteen code here! The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted! View More Thursday Thirteen Participants