Skip to main content

{Social Distancing: Week 9 (SDW9)}

Mother’s Day began SDW9. I woke up to Titus standing next to my bed with a Christmas-themed gift bag full of stuff. He begged me to get up and as I did, I could hear the other kids upstairs with TJ. When they saw Titus downstairs and me following up behind him, they started scolding him for waking me because they weren’t “ready” for me to come up.

When I walked upstairs I immediately noticed signs covering quite a bit of wall and furniture space, as well as the counters and doors. They were all uniquely different expressions of basically “Happy Mother’s Day.” Some were written as acrostics, some drawings, and some distinctly bore the words “Happy Mother’s Day.” I had to chuckle because my kids really know me- a lot of the signs made mention of my love of teaching and reading.

       

My older boys redid a flower bed for me. It had been ripped up years ago to get rid of the scraggly bushes that were trying to grow, but we had never replanted anything in their place. A friend of mine organized with the boys to have them come over and dig up some of her shade flowers to plant in the space. Then the boys decided to purchase some additional bushes and bags of mulch to complete the area.

Front flower bed completed by the older boys

Along with redoing the front bed, the older boys also purchased some ground cover for a new flower bed we have in the backyard. They also added additional mulch to the area and the finished product looks so good! They don’t verbalize their love for me, but “acts of service” is definitely one of my love languages so this gesture definitely conveys their feelings towards me.  

TJ and the other kids bought me 4 hanging flower baskets to go around our patio area. They also purchased a hammock swing for me. I love to sit outside and read, and I know love it even more! I literally sit in the swing for a couple of hours every afternoon with my book. I have been researching a topic and was able to finish two books on the subject this week. The benefit is I can hear my children if they are playing in the driveway, and if they are in the backyard, we can swing together. It is one of my most favorite gifts EVER!

The hanging basketes and swing from TJ and the kids

Some big news this week was that I was accepted into graduate school. I began researching the steps necessary for me to renew my teaching certificate a couple of years ago. At the time, I decided I didn’t want to complete the requirements, and it was mostly because I was being lazy and didn’t want to have an added stress in my life. I researched the topic again last summer, and for much the same reason, decided to postpone it. However, now that I am only going to have one child at home with me during the day (outside of preschool hours), I figured now is a good time. As I began the steps to re-certify, I realized I had been out of school far too long and a refresher class would be helpful. That led to exploring options of working towards my Master’s degree. Once I learned I could both work and attend school at the same time, I decided to apply. I am super excited to begin this journey! I have always loved to learn and I definitely think taking more classes will have a direct impact on my teaching ability. I am hoping to begin classes soon!

SDW9 also provided some closure on the school year. I was able to work in my classroom to pack it up for the summer. I gathered all the students’ belongings and bagged them up for their families to retrieve. I took down art work and bulletin boards, removed the line-up spots off the floor, put away all my alphabet and lesson plans, emptied mailboxes and cubbies, and packed up the calendar. It was very surreal, particularly because I was by myself.

The day time stopped on traditional schooling
We had 112 days together
Cubbies emptied, floor ready to be waxed, and bulletin boards down

   

Bare bulletin board and reading area- ready for a new school year!

Closing up the classroom is something my assistant and I do together. We go through each cabinet and purge unnecessary items, toss broken manipulatives, and clean as we go. None of that happened this year. It felt as if I was walking into an abandoned house and was trying to process what I was seeing. There were evidences of life everywhere!

It just so happened, on our last day together in class we had a Silly String fight. It was totally unplanned and definitely out of character for me, but an urge took over and I just started spraying Silly String across the room. Mrs. Barnes (my assistant) picked up a can and it was an all-out war! The kids thought it was hilarious, and although messy, it was such a fun time! I am so unbelievably grateful that was our last time physically together. As I worked around the room, I found remnants of Silly String on cabinet doors and chairs. It immediately brought a smile to my face and memories of our year together came rushing back. It was a GREAT year!

SDW9 also brought a birthday for one of my daughter’s teacher. She is single and lives alone so Taryn, my daughter, planned a special afternoon for her. We picked up sandwiches and enjoyed a picnic with her by the river. We talked, laughed, and shared memories of their year together. Taryn loved every minute of it, especially being able to personally give her teacher her birthday, end of year, and Teacher Appreciation gifts. It was a sweet time together! Ms. Fuller has become a favorite teacher, for sure! I could write an entire post dedicated to my kids' teachers this year. They have all gone above and beyond to help my children (and their classmates) succeed this school year. And this behavior didn't start when schools closed due to COVID, it began on the first day of school. 

Taryn and her precious teacher

As week 9 comes to an end, I am reminded that the school year (for my own children) is wrapping up. I am grateful we have made it this far in terms of schooling at home. We have our routine and we have all adjusted to it. It was definitely challenging in the beginning, but we reflected, adjusted, and analyzed how things went each week (the true traits of a teacher). I am so proud of their diligence and ability to adapt and overcome so well. They miss their friends, teachers, and school routine for sure!  

I have come to realize that our previous “normal” will never truly routine as social distancing is now an ingrained part of our lives. I don’t know what next school year looks like or if I will even be returning to teach (due to societal changes) because of social distancing requirements. How does one keep little children, who barely understand germs, separated from each other? Social distancing is for sure going to affect social development in these little children, for sure! I try not to think about next school for too long because my anxiety tends to take over. I know the Lord is in control and He will give the wisdom and grace needed when the time comes. Until then, I am going to continue to live in the moment and enjoy today. 

If you need me, I’ll be in my swing enjoying the warm breeze and shade given by my favorite tree.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Thirteen #3

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 jobs I have held. . . 1. Special Olympics Swim Coach Best job ever and very rewarding! 2. Preschool/Youth swim instructor My first job (I volunteered until I got hired on at the Y, then I was paid.) 3. Lifeguard This was my first paid job. 4. Crew Chief/aircraft mechanic on the KC-10 I loved it- I saw the world on this plane and pushed myself the farthest mentally and physically I ever have or ever will again. Of course I missed my family and friends, but if I had to do it all over again, I would in a heartbeat. 5. Debrief personnel I talked with aircrews after they landed about their flight/mission. I learned the logistical side of flying. 6. Tool Crib personnel I gave the mechanics tools for various jobs needed to fix the airplane. I also inventoried and ordered new tools, and that was fun. Until this job, I had no idea that tool companies have a representative drive around in a truck full of tools for people to use and try. It was during t

Thursday Thirteen #4

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 places I have been or would like to go. . . 1. Santiago, Chile, South America This was my first trip when I was in the military. It was awesome! 2. Virginia Beach, Virginia, U.S. Traveled here with the military. I had a great time, although I only stayed for a few nights. It was too cold to swim in the ocean but it was nice to see the beach. 3. Palermo, Sicily, Europe This is my family's roots. My great-grandparents immigrated to the U.S. from Palermo, and it was so awesome to be able to share in my heritage. I traveled here while in the military, and I loved every bit of this country. Mt. Etna is also located in Sicily, and on several occasions (I've been to Sicily several times), Mt. Etna was erupting. It was majestic to see, especially at night. Too many highlights to say what my favorite part of this country was, but the memories I hold will definitely last a lifetime. 4. Rota, Spain, Europe Again, traveled here with the military.

Thursday Thirteen #6

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 Pictures from my life. . . Th, May 2007 Ta, May 2007 At the OBX, June 2007 Ta, OBX 2007 T.G. and Jenna, 1 of our dogs Th turning 5 in Sep. 2007 Eating cake, Sep. 2007 Me and TJ at the Wilds At the zoo, Oct. 2007 Nov. 2007 Thanksgiving 2007 Christmas 2007 All of us Get the Thursday Thirteen code here! The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted! View More Thursday Thirteen Participants