Skip to main content

{Social Distancing: Week 7 (SDW7)}

Full acceptance hit this week. I didn’t cry (very much) and I didn’t get sad; rather, I just reached the point of acceptance. Acceptance that I am not returning to school this year, and neither are my kids. Acceptance that we will be social distancing for a long time. Acceptance that this is our new normal, and our previous normal will never return. I have come to realize that acceptance is a good thing.

Acceptance brought peace and calm. It also gave me time to reflect, analyze, and think about changes I want to bring about in my life as a mom, teacher, and friend. I was able to go back and look through photos of my year in my classroom, and seeing my little people brought some BIG smiles; we had such a fun year!

Acceptance also forced me to realize that there is no better time than now to pursue my goals. I want to be the best teacher I can, and in order to be that, I need to know more. When you know better, you do better. I enjoy school and learning, and I try to take advantage of attending teacher conferences and workshops to stay up to date on the current trends in education. So, I decided now is the time to go back to school and work on my Master’s in Education in Curriculum and Instruction in Special Education.

Basically this degree with enhance my knowledge of teaching practices and instructional methods for students with special needs. While I do not plan to teach in a special ed classroom, having this knowledge benefits ALL students because as studies show, there are MANY unidentified students with special needs in regular, general education classrooms. I have witnessed this in my own classroom, and I honestly feel if I didn’t have a background in Special Ed, my students would be labeled as behavior problems and underlying issues would have gone undiagnosed. Helping these students in particular is my passion, and I want to continue to do so as effectively as possible. Can you tell I am excited!?

Acceptance brought joy this week, and because the prevailing sadness was gone, I was much more mentally present with my family this week. My baby, Tobias, celebrated his 3rd birthday. We celebrated him with a Chick-Fil-A picnic at the park with all of us, including Tanner and my mom, before coming home to have cake. Also, one of his teachers stopped by with a gift and to wish him a happy birthday. He was THRILLED to see her! Tobias is OBSESSED with lawn equipment like Tanner. He takes sticks to use as a weed-eater and an open dump truck to pretend to mow the grass. We decided to give him those items so he doesn’t have to pretend. He was ECSTATIC!!!! Thomas had him load his equipment onto Tanner’s trailer and he drove Tobias around the block to his “work site.” I wish I had a picture of the smile on that boy’s face- he was proud as punch!




   

I also enjoyed some time reading outdoors, and that ALWAYS brightens my mood. I am reading “Just Mercy” by Bryan Stevenson, a book about the (in)justice system in regards to minorities living in the South. Historically, black children face more difficulties in school because of lower socio-economic status, educational opportunities, single-parent homes, and racial bias by educators. Poor school performance leads to higher numbers of drop-outs, which leads to lack of good-paying jobs and higher crime. Stevenson focuses on the injustice people of color face within the justice system, but truly it starts at the foundation: education.

It is really heart-wrenching and just makes me all the more determined to better the educational system starting at the base, which is the preschool/early learning years. If I can share the love of learning and help provide equal learning opportunities in my classroom, I can help change the trajectory of some of these kids. My heart has always been bent towards those who are considered the outcasts of society, and it is probably because I have felt like an outcast my entire life. This has become my life's mission, and it excites me to use my gifts as a teacher to make a difference in others’ lives.

On a different note, this week we found out Thomas will still have a graduation ceremony. I can’t believe he graduates in less than 3 weeks! While it will be nothing close to a traditional ceremony, I am so thankful he will be able to celebrate this life achievement. We have been waiting for this moment his whole life! Most of the “Senior” milestones have been canceled so the fact this is still taking place will make it all the more special.


Surprisingly, I am looking forward to SDW8. It is one week closer to the end of the school year, but it also means that we have fell into a good routine with schooling at home and juggling the demands of family responsibilities. God has been gracious and loving towards us in so many ways, and reaching this point is proof! The best life lessons are learned in hardship and the way we respond. It isn’t easy, but it is so worth it to see from where and how far we have come. 

Have a great week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Thirteen #3

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 jobs I have held. . . 1. Special Olympics Swim Coach Best job ever and very rewarding! 2. Preschool/Youth swim instructor My first job (I volunteered until I got hired on at the Y, then I was paid.) 3. Lifeguard This was my first paid job. 4. Crew Chief/aircraft mechanic on the KC-10 I loved it- I saw the world on this plane and pushed myself the farthest mentally and physically I ever have or ever will again. Of course I missed my family and friends, but if I had to do it all over again, I would in a heartbeat. 5. Debrief personnel I talked with aircrews after they landed about their flight/mission. I learned the logistical side of flying. 6. Tool Crib personnel I gave the mechanics tools for various jobs needed to fix the airplane. I also inventoried and ordered new tools, and that was fun. Until this job, I had no idea that tool companies have a representative drive around in a truck full of tools for people to use and try. It was during t

Thursday Thirteen #4

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 places I have been or would like to go. . . 1. Santiago, Chile, South America This was my first trip when I was in the military. It was awesome! 2. Virginia Beach, Virginia, U.S. Traveled here with the military. I had a great time, although I only stayed for a few nights. It was too cold to swim in the ocean but it was nice to see the beach. 3. Palermo, Sicily, Europe This is my family's roots. My great-grandparents immigrated to the U.S. from Palermo, and it was so awesome to be able to share in my heritage. I traveled here while in the military, and I loved every bit of this country. Mt. Etna is also located in Sicily, and on several occasions (I've been to Sicily several times), Mt. Etna was erupting. It was majestic to see, especially at night. Too many highlights to say what my favorite part of this country was, but the memories I hold will definitely last a lifetime. 4. Rota, Spain, Europe Again, traveled here with the military.

Thursday Thirteen #6

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 Pictures from my life. . . Th, May 2007 Ta, May 2007 At the OBX, June 2007 Ta, OBX 2007 T.G. and Jenna, 1 of our dogs Th turning 5 in Sep. 2007 Eating cake, Sep. 2007 Me and TJ at the Wilds At the zoo, Oct. 2007 Nov. 2007 Thanksgiving 2007 Christmas 2007 All of us Get the Thursday Thirteen code here! The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted! View More Thursday Thirteen Participants