Skip to main content

{Social Distancing: Week 10 (SDW10)}

This week brought about a major life event, and truthfully I am still processing it. 

My oldest child, Thomas, graduated from high school. He is officially an adult. My parenting journey with him is finished. At this point, I can only offer him advice.  He is fully responsible for the choices he makes, as well as the consequences.  

18 summers. That is what we, as parents, are given to influence, mold, discipline, and train our children so that when the time comes, they are responsible, contributing members of society. It is an arduous task that at times seemed not worth the effort. But, looking back, there really isn’t much I would do differently except perhaps cherish the time we had together. While the days were so, so long, the time has passed quickly! I look back at old photos and the memories they invoke seems like they happened just yesterday.

Homeschooling Thomas afforded me the gift of time with him, and if nothing else, that alone made the stresses of homeschooling worth it. The Lord knew what He was doing when he placed the idea of homeschooling Thomas on my heart, and the trials that we faced as a family over the years that we homeschooled provided opportunities to lean on the Lord and draw closer as a family. Would that had been possible if we hadn’t embarked on the homeschool journey? I can’t definitively answer that, but my gut tells me no. Homeschooling grew me in ways only homeschooling could; in no other way would I be with my child for the majority of the 24 hours in each day.

Thomas is young for his grade, and I would be lying if I said I wasn’t concerned for his well-being when he heads to college in the fall. But again, faith and trust in the Lord to protect Thomas and give him wisdom is what I am clinging to. When the times comes for TJ and I to say our good-byes as we leave campus, Thomas will be fully-surrendered to the Lord. That is a hard to pill to swallow. For now, I am handling things okay because our life is pretty much like it always has been, but I know when we say those good-byes, I am going to lose it.  

So what is the point of this post, really? I’m not sure. I suppose it is just a means for me to express what I am feeling during this quarantine. The graduation ceremony was definitely different! It was held at a (semi-)local drive-in movie theater. The cars with graduates inside lined the first 4 rows, and all other family and guests filled the remaining. It was a celebratory time and I am ever so grateful to the faculty and staff at the school for allowing the graduates to gather together one last time before each one headed off to blaze their own path in life. The mood was joyful and fun as family and friends gathered around cars laughing, sharing stories, and making memories. My mom, Tanner, and some family friends, the Calls, attended graduation with us. It was a sweet time and honestly the best graduation ceremony I have ever attended.

Each passing week of social distancing causes me to be more thankful for the time spent with my family. I honestly expected to be tired of them, and sometimes they grate on my nerves, but overall, this is just one blessing from the Lord as He strengthens family bonds and helps us see the truly important things in life: time spent with loved ones and the memories we share.

SDW10 was bittersweet: bitter in that my time with Thomas is coming to an end, but so sweet in looking back on the memories I have as his mother. Looking forward to what SDW11 brings....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Thirteen #3

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 jobs I have held. . . 1. Special Olympics Swim Coach Best job ever and very rewarding! 2. Preschool/Youth swim instructor My first job (I volunteered until I got hired on at the Y, then I was paid.) 3. Lifeguard This was my first paid job. 4. Crew Chief/aircraft mechanic on the KC-10 I loved it- I saw the world on this plane and pushed myself the farthest mentally and physically I ever have or ever will again. Of course I missed my family and friends, but if I had to do it all over again, I would in a heartbeat. 5. Debrief personnel I talked with aircrews after they landed about their flight/mission. I learned the logistical side of flying. 6. Tool Crib personnel I gave the mechanics tools for various jobs needed to fix the airplane. I also inventoried and ordered new tools, and that was fun. Until this job, I had no idea that tool companies have a representative drive around in a truck full of tools for people to use and try. It was during t

Thursday Thirteen #4

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 places I have been or would like to go. . . 1. Santiago, Chile, South America This was my first trip when I was in the military. It was awesome! 2. Virginia Beach, Virginia, U.S. Traveled here with the military. I had a great time, although I only stayed for a few nights. It was too cold to swim in the ocean but it was nice to see the beach. 3. Palermo, Sicily, Europe This is my family's roots. My great-grandparents immigrated to the U.S. from Palermo, and it was so awesome to be able to share in my heritage. I traveled here while in the military, and I loved every bit of this country. Mt. Etna is also located in Sicily, and on several occasions (I've been to Sicily several times), Mt. Etna was erupting. It was majestic to see, especially at night. Too many highlights to say what my favorite part of this country was, but the memories I hold will definitely last a lifetime. 4. Rota, Spain, Europe Again, traveled here with the military.

Thursday Thirteen #6

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 Pictures from my life. . . Th, May 2007 Ta, May 2007 At the OBX, June 2007 Ta, OBX 2007 T.G. and Jenna, 1 of our dogs Th turning 5 in Sep. 2007 Eating cake, Sep. 2007 Me and TJ at the Wilds At the zoo, Oct. 2007 Nov. 2007 Thanksgiving 2007 Christmas 2007 All of us Get the Thursday Thirteen code here! The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted! View More Thursday Thirteen Participants