Skip to main content

{Social Distancing: Week 2 (SDW2)}


This week was somewhat better than last in certain aspects, but it also brought its fair share of difficulties.

TJ wasn’t feeling well most of this week so that meant I was a single parent for 90% of the week. Let that sink in- 9 kids for 90% of the day, 24/7.  There were a few times where I was able to get some time to myself, for which I am thankful, but I am ready for this entire situation to be done and over.  Trying to balance schoolwork, housework, cooking, sibling squabbles, and children is challenging and often overwhelming for me.  I cried daily in the shower, sometimes in the middle of day, and even before bed depending on the day I had.

I realize I am sounding very negative so let me add there were a few bright spots in my week.  The first was on Tuesday when I got to see most of the students in my class.  Let me share the backstory (since there really isn’t much else to do these days): prior to all the school closures, my class was writing a book together to be published. We had all the writings completed and were planning to do the illustrations the week of St. Patrick’s Day (so, during SDW1). Obviously with school closing that didn’t happen.  It made me sad to think that our school year was ending so abruptly and with so many unfinished plans and projects.  I decided to email the parents to see if they would be willing to meet me to get the special book paper so each child could complete their illustrations. All the parents agreed, which thrilled me! Tuesday afternoon we met at the school parking lot and I was able to see and talk to those who were there (from a safe distance, of course).  Everyone was thrilled to see each other!  Friday, I collected their pages and I was able to see some of those who weren’t there on Tuesday.  The best news is that our book is complete, and I sent it off to the publisher!

The second bright spot was Thursday evening. I put my children to bed and was able to video chat with other moms. I ended up staying on for 4 hours! It was nice to share struggles and ideas with other moms. I have missed outside interaction despite taking walks around my neighborhood. My friend Vanessa said it best when she said she never knew it was possible to be surrounded by people (our families) yet feel so alone.  I couldn’t agree more!  Thursday’s video chat allowed me to get some much-needed connection.

Another bright spot was on Friday.  After I picked up all the book pages at school, I had a video chat with my class.  We all talked about the various ways we have been trying to keep busy and pass the time.  Some showed off some new skills and others just sat and listened.  The best part was when one of my students asked me to read a story.  I wasn’t prepared so I quickly grabbed the first book I could find in my stash of school stuff.  Ironic, but the book was about friendship and the importance of having friends.  It was a great opportunity to discuss why we couldn’t all be together in school, and I reassured them I loved them, and we would be together again at some point.  When I hung up, I had to take a few minutes to cry because I just miss those kids, our class and routine, and the mental relief teaching school brings me.

Friday evening, again after I put the kids to bed, I was able to video chat with some more friends of mine.  We are used to seeing each other every weekend so SD has been hard, particularly in that regard.  We had fun just hanging out and talking, taking silly pictures using the filters on our phones.  I hope we make this our new Friday night routine just to give me something to look forward to.

What I learned during SDW2:
  • ·         The snack bag idea was wonderful! The kids loved it, and I loved that I didn’t have to make another decision regarding approved snacks throughout the day whenever various children asked. I am definitely doing that again.
  • ·         Schooling my 1st grader is still a challenge despite having activities for the little boys.  A lot of my tears this week were due to the stress of schooling during the day and trying to keep up with assignments, video chat times for all the kids, video chat codes for all the kids, and checking progress on the middle- and high-schoolers.  I never was able to catch up on the 1st grader’s work so thankfully the teacher gave us Thursday and Friday as make up days. We had a solid 3 hours of school each of those days just to catch up because we had gotten so far behind. I think this week I am going to assign the older kids to 30-minute time slots where they must take a break from their schoolwork to play with the little boys to allow me to focus on Ruthie’s schoolwork.
  • ·         I need an hour each day to myself.  I need to be able to not have any responsibility for at least an hour for my own sanity. I have been on the verge of a mental breakdown a few times this past week and honestly, I am struggling.  Trying to keep the kids quiet during the day while TJ works is challenging, schooling, and all the other “stuff” I do to keep our household running is taking its toll. I am hoping now that TJ is feeling better, things will be a little different.
  • ·         I need sleep, and I need to figure out a way to get it. Tobias has not been sleeping well and as a result, I have not, either. I have been getting between 3.5 – 6 hours of sleep depending on the night. I am physically and mentally tired.
  • ·         The kids need to leave the neighborhood, even if only for a drive around town. The change of scenery does us all good, and a surprise treat from the drive-thru is just icing on the cake.  This is something I will do again, probably at least twice each week so long as we are permitted to go out. 

This wraps up SDW2 in our house.  How is everyone else managing? Am I the only one struggling so much? I see pictures on social media of smiling, happy kids and adults and wonder what I am doing wrong. My kids miss their friends, I miss my friends, and we are sick of being together.  There are only so many places one can go to get away from others, and that is part of the struggle. I would love to hear how others are doing and activities or ideas that are helping you/your family as you isolate yourselves from others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Thirteen #4

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 places I have been or would like to go. . . 1. Santiago, Chile, South America This was my first trip when I was in the military. It was awesome! 2. Virginia Beach, Virginia, U.S. Traveled here with the military. I had a great time, although I only stayed for a few nights. It was too cold to swim in the ocean but it was nice to see the beach. 3. Palermo, Sicily, Europe This is my family's roots. My great-grandparents immigrated to the U.S. from Palermo, and it was so awesome to be able to share in my heritage. I traveled here while in the military, and I loved every bit of this country. Mt. Etna is also located in Sicily, and on several occasions (I've been to Sicily several times), Mt. Etna was erupting. It was majestic to see, especially at night. Too many highlights to say what my favorite part of this country was, but the memories I hold will definitely last a lifetime. 4. Rota, Spain, Europe Again, traveled here with the military.

Thursday Thirteen #3

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 jobs I have held. . . 1. Special Olympics Swim Coach Best job ever and very rewarding! 2. Preschool/Youth swim instructor My first job (I volunteered until I got hired on at the Y, then I was paid.) 3. Lifeguard This was my first paid job. 4. Crew Chief/aircraft mechanic on the KC-10 I loved it- I saw the world on this plane and pushed myself the farthest mentally and physically I ever have or ever will again. Of course I missed my family and friends, but if I had to do it all over again, I would in a heartbeat. 5. Debrief personnel I talked with aircrews after they landed about their flight/mission. I learned the logistical side of flying. 6. Tool Crib personnel I gave the mechanics tools for various jobs needed to fix the airplane. I also inventoried and ordered new tools, and that was fun. Until this job, I had no idea that tool companies have a representative drive around in a truck full of tools for people to use and try. It was during t

Thursday Thirteen #6

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 Pictures from my life. . . Th, May 2007 Ta, May 2007 At the OBX, June 2007 Ta, OBX 2007 T.G. and Jenna, 1 of our dogs Th turning 5 in Sep. 2007 Eating cake, Sep. 2007 Me and TJ at the Wilds At the zoo, Oct. 2007 Nov. 2007 Thanksgiving 2007 Christmas 2007 All of us Get the Thursday Thirteen code here! The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted! View More Thursday Thirteen Participants