Skip to main content

{A Worthy Walk}

I will admit I don't spend as much time in my bible as I should. However, I make it a point to pray as soon as I am alone with the Lord in the morning, which is usually while getting ready for the day. I try to pray through scripture because it helps me to meditate on verses I already know and is more than just "asking" for things to be done.

One of the verses I pray through each day is Ephesians 4:1-3.

It says,

"I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you to walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace."

As I was praying that the Lord would help me to walk worthy of my calling, I began to think about what exactly my calling was. The verse is speaking to brothers and sisters in Christ, that we walk (act) in a way that pleases Jesus and honors His sacrifice on the cross. But it goes deeper than that, I think. I personalized it even more to mean my calling as a wife, and of course as a mother. Am I treating my husband and children in ways that please Christ? Am I really living up to being a godly wife and mom? There are women out there who were not called to be wives and mothers. Am I cherishing my roles as I should? Ashamedly, not all the time! What about my calling as a daughter, friend, sister, and neighbor? Am I doing my best to fulfill those roles in a Christ-like way? Again, I fall short. 

I sat down and wrote out a list of things that I could do/change to truly walk worthy of my calling. The first thing was to "put off" my desires and "put on" the Fruit of the Spirit (Gal. 5:22-24). While I also pray those verses each day, it is very easy for me to live in the flesh and not rely on the Lord's strength for patience, endurance, gentleness, etc, particularly at the end of the day when I am tired and ready for a break from the kids. But, as I often tell my kids, doing the right thing isn't always easy...

I won't go into the details regarding the rest of my list, but I am sharing this so others will perhaps examine their own hearts regarding their calling. Christmas is approaching, and with it means celebrating the birth of the Savior, the One who gave me my calling in the first place. I can think of no better time than now to reflect on and implement changes. Christ was born to die so that others could live freely in Him. If I do not crucify my flesh and live for Him daily (hourly!), then what was the purpose of His suffering on the cross?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Thirteen #3

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 jobs I have held. . . 1. Special Olympics Swim Coach Best job ever and very rewarding! 2. Preschool/Youth swim instructor My first job (I volunteered until I got hired on at the Y, then I was paid.) 3. Lifeguard This was my first paid job. 4. Crew Chief/aircraft mechanic on the KC-10 I loved it- I saw the world on this plane and pushed myself the farthest mentally and physically I ever have or ever will again. Of course I missed my family and friends, but if I had to do it all over again, I would in a heartbeat. 5. Debrief personnel I talked with aircrews after they landed about their flight/mission. I learned the logistical side of flying. 6. Tool Crib personnel I gave the mechanics tools for various jobs needed to fix the airplane. I also inventoried and ordered new tools, and that was fun. Until this job, I had no idea that tool companies have a representative drive around in a truck full of tools for people to use and try. It was during t

Thursday Thirteen #4

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 places I have been or would like to go. . . 1. Santiago, Chile, South America This was my first trip when I was in the military. It was awesome! 2. Virginia Beach, Virginia, U.S. Traveled here with the military. I had a great time, although I only stayed for a few nights. It was too cold to swim in the ocean but it was nice to see the beach. 3. Palermo, Sicily, Europe This is my family's roots. My great-grandparents immigrated to the U.S. from Palermo, and it was so awesome to be able to share in my heritage. I traveled here while in the military, and I loved every bit of this country. Mt. Etna is also located in Sicily, and on several occasions (I've been to Sicily several times), Mt. Etna was erupting. It was majestic to see, especially at night. Too many highlights to say what my favorite part of this country was, but the memories I hold will definitely last a lifetime. 4. Rota, Spain, Europe Again, traveled here with the military.

Thursday Thirteen #6

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 Pictures from my life. . . Th, May 2007 Ta, May 2007 At the OBX, June 2007 Ta, OBX 2007 T.G. and Jenna, 1 of our dogs Th turning 5 in Sep. 2007 Eating cake, Sep. 2007 Me and TJ at the Wilds At the zoo, Oct. 2007 Nov. 2007 Thanksgiving 2007 Christmas 2007 All of us Get the Thursday Thirteen code here! The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted! View More Thursday Thirteen Participants