Thursday, November 17, 2011


Teagan is not known for her grace and poise. I can't count the number of times she has bumped her head, some worse than others. She had two goose-eggs on her forehead within 3 months of each other because of falls that were only stopped by her head pounding the ground.  Simply put, she is quite the klutz!

TJ picked her up from preschool on Monday afternoon to find her crying. Apparently she had just had an incident in the playroom where she was running and ran into another child. Upon their collision, she fell and hit her forehead on the floor. There was no bump, not even a mark, but she was pretty upset. TJ brought her home and we proceded to try to calm her down so she could eat lunch. As soon as she was sitting in her chair, she began to vomit. We knew then that she needed to be seen by a doctor.

I called her pediatrician and they recommended we take her straight to the ER. TJ gathered Teagan and had Th go with him to try to keep her awake and talking in the car. In the meantime, I hastily tried to get in touch with 2 college students who have babysat for us in the past. Neither answered the phone. I then tried my neighbor, and she, too, did not answer. I put Annie & T.G. in the car and began to drive, not really thinking about where I was going. Once I realized which direction I had gone, the Lord brought to mind a friend from church whose house I was just about to pass. I quickly dialed her number and thankfully she was home and more than willing to keep the girls with her. I dropped them off and met TJ at the hospital at 1pm.

Teagan continued to vomit while we were in the waiting room so the ER nurse contacted the doctor for approval for a CT scan. The scan was approved and she had the scan at about 2:15pm. Then, we were sent back to the waiting room. We waited for 2 1/2 hours all the while Teagan continued to vomit. TJ and I took turns inquiring about the status of the scan, but of course no one could tell us anything. We were very concerned because Teagan was still vomiting and becoming lethargic. Finally, around 5pm I left to gather the kids from my friend's house, as well as Ta from another sitter (one of the college girls saw I called and returned my call) so they could eat and we could begin our nightly routine of baths, etc. TJ and Teagan arrived home shortly after I did.

Just as I left, the nurse called TJ back where Teagan was examined. Her scan and vital signs were normal so she was released under the diagnosis of a mild concussion. I followed up the next day with her pediatrician. Because she was still lethargic, vomiting, and complaining of a headache, he recommended her activity be limited. She is excited about being able to return to preschool tomorrow!

                                                         *    *    *
After talking with someone who has more experience with concussions than I do, I am thankful this happened now rather than later. As was previously stated, Teagan has hit her head many times, some even harder than this. I firmly believe that each bump and fall progressively built up to this. Now we know she is extremely susceptible to head injuries, and we will monitor her reactions to bumps/falls more closely.

Also, the Lord used so many people to encourage us during the entire ordeal. I promise you, it was the Lord who provided the sitter for Annie & T.G. as I was so upset I wasn't thinking clearly. I left my neighborhood not headed in the direction of the hospital (let's hope that doesn't happen when I go into labor!) and couldn't think clearly enough to get bearings. My friend lives in the next neighborhood so I turned there in an attempt to turn around. The fact that she was home, answered her phone (after I had called 3 other people), and was able to help with childcare was a huge answer to prayer!!!

When TJ and I got home from the hospital, my neighbor called to say that the director of the preschool felt so terrible about what happened she had brought pizza over for us. Since we weren't home yet, she left it at the neighbor's who stuck it in the oven to keep warm. What a blessing to not have to prepare supper after unexpectedly being gone all afternoon!

The next day, for Teagan's follow up appointment, another girl from our church stayed with the kids so I didn't have to take them with me. Her sweet mother prepared a meal for us and brought it over when she came to pick up her daughter. Again, a huge blessing as I was still tired from everything that had happened on Monday. This particular girl had her own experience with a serious concussion (she almost died) back in February so it was a blessing to be able to see the progress she's made, plus gain insight into the signs I needed to look for from now on. I know it was a painful and difficult experience for her, but the Lord has used it greatly in her own life and now in mine. Her family knew exactly what we were facing and just what we needed.

I praise God for His hand in the entire situation. It is extremely evident to me that He orchestrated all of the events and will use this in all of our lives. I pray that He continues to protect Teagan just as He's been doing. =)

0 Shared with Me: