Skip to main content

Look How Big!

Teagan is 7 months old today! I can’t believe how fast the time passed since her birth, especially in the last 2 months since she’s been receiving Early Intervention services. She has made such great progress with the help of her Early Interventionist (EI) and physical therapist (PT). In fact, this past Sunday, Teagan finally began rolling over independently!

T.G. was sick so I kept her home from church Sunday night. I had her in the bathtub, trying to bring her fever down a bit. I had Teagan playing on the carpet right outside the bathroom door. I had placed her on her back and put some toys just out of her grasp, reachable only when she rolled onto her side. I was washing T.G. and periodically checking on Teagan. I heard Teagan begin to fuss, and when I turned around to check on her, she had rolled onto her belly! I was very excited! She rolled 2 more times before I actually witnessed her rolling, and then she did it again yesterday for her EI. I can’t wait to show her PT her new skills!

Teagan also had her 6-month well-visit last week. She has gained another 2 pounds, and she officially weighs 14 pounds, 3 ounces. I introduced her to “food” and so far she likes green beans and raspberry Italian ice (I shared some of mine with her the other day). Teagan also has an ear infection and the doctor prescribed Amoxicillin. However, when filling the prescription, she received Augmentin, which is a stronger version of Amoxicillin. I’m not sure why the pharmacist substituted, but Teagan did not respond well. She immediately vomited upon me giving it her. I tried on 2 separate instances and both times she vomited. I called the doctor’s office and they called in the Amoxicillin (again!) and she has done much better. She really likes the taste of the medicine and grabs my hand to get it.

Now that her first PT goal has been met, we will continue to work with her on sitting independently. She is getting stronger and making great progress, but her doctor told me that more than likely she will have low muscle tone for the rest of her life. The therapy is definitely helping to strengthen her muscles, but she’ll never be an Olympic athlete. She will be delayed in her gross motor development. She will learn to sit, and she will crawl, and eventually she will learn to walk, but much later than her friends. In the great scheme of things, that’s okay. I accept that and have actually added to my special education knowledge by having experienced this end of the special education services spectrum. Like I often tell TJ, we are all on the spectrum somewhere! =)

*Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, The fruit of the womb is a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, So are the children of one's youth. ~Psalm 127:3-4

Comments

Anonymous said…
She is absolutely gorgeous!!! It seems like just yesterday she was making her grand entrance. How time flies.....

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Thirteen #4

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 places I have been or would like to go. . . 1. Santiago, Chile, South America This was my first trip when I was in the military. It was awesome! 2. Virginia Beach, Virginia, U.S. Traveled here with the military. I had a great time, although I only stayed for a few nights. It was too cold to swim in the ocean but it was nice to see the beach. 3. Palermo, Sicily, Europe This is my family's roots. My great-grandparents immigrated to the U.S. from Palermo, and it was so awesome to be able to share in my heritage. I traveled here while in the military, and I loved every bit of this country. Mt. Etna is also located in Sicily, and on several occasions (I've been to Sicily several times), Mt. Etna was erupting. It was majestic to see, especially at night. Too many highlights to say what my favorite part of this country was, but the memories I hold will definitely last a lifetime. 4. Rota, Spain, Europe Again, traveled here with the military.

Thursday Thirteen #3

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 jobs I have held. . . 1. Special Olympics Swim Coach Best job ever and very rewarding! 2. Preschool/Youth swim instructor My first job (I volunteered until I got hired on at the Y, then I was paid.) 3. Lifeguard This was my first paid job. 4. Crew Chief/aircraft mechanic on the KC-10 I loved it- I saw the world on this plane and pushed myself the farthest mentally and physically I ever have or ever will again. Of course I missed my family and friends, but if I had to do it all over again, I would in a heartbeat. 5. Debrief personnel I talked with aircrews after they landed about their flight/mission. I learned the logistical side of flying. 6. Tool Crib personnel I gave the mechanics tools for various jobs needed to fix the airplane. I also inventoried and ordered new tools, and that was fun. Until this job, I had no idea that tool companies have a representative drive around in a truck full of tools for people to use and try. It was during t

Thursday Thirteen #6

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 Pictures from my life. . . Th, May 2007 Ta, May 2007 At the OBX, June 2007 Ta, OBX 2007 T.G. and Jenna, 1 of our dogs Th turning 5 in Sep. 2007 Eating cake, Sep. 2007 Me and TJ at the Wilds At the zoo, Oct. 2007 Nov. 2007 Thanksgiving 2007 Christmas 2007 All of us Get the Thursday Thirteen code here! The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted! View More Thursday Thirteen Participants