Skip to main content

From Concord to Kids

What a whirlwind week! We just finished up Missions Week at church, and we had 5 missionaries and their families from all over the world. We had lunch with all of them on Thursday and then hosted one family for supper on Friday night. Of all the ministries through our church, missions is my favorite, and I think my family's favorite, too. The kids have a bulletin board in their room that exclusively holds prayer cards for missionaries. The kids know each missionary on the board and love adding new prayer cards. They enjoyed learning about the people and places each of the missionaries are striving to bring the gospel to during Missions Conference this week, and we are all sad it's over. But, it was a sort of reunion for us because we got to spend time with the Kings, who used to live down the street from us but moved about a month ago to begin their church plant in Concord, North Carolina. They now live about 45 minutes from us, not too far, but not within walking distance like we were. Ta especially misses them because the youngest member of the King family was in Ta's class at church. I think both of the boys were thrilled to be able to play together again.

Teagan had her 1 month check up this morning. Overall she is doing great. She is 9 pounds, 13 ounces (50th percentile for weight) and 22 inches long (75th percentile for height). She continues to amaze me with how different she is compared to the other 3 kids. Th was in the 75th for weight and 25th for height, and Ta and T.G. have both been in the 10th for weight and height. On a different note, I have been concerned about a few issues with Teagan. She is still jaundice (I can see it in her eyes) but the doc ran some bloodwork and the jaundice levels are within the acceptable range. He is not concerned about it. More importantly, I am very concerned with her hearing. She had a hearing test in the hospital and she passed, but I notice often that she is not startled by noises that she should be. For instance, TJ finally replaced the entire downstairs flooring with the wood floor we purchased back in the spring (that's a separate blog entry). One day he was working and he dropped a pile of the wood planks. It was really loud and scared me, but Teagan didn't even bat an eye. There have been other instances where she didn't even seem to notice the noise and chaos around her, and I think that is why she sleeps so good. So, I shared my concern with the doctor and he tested it by dropping her chart on the ground. It was pretty loud considering we were in a tiny, quiet exam room. Again, she did not respond. As a result, she is being referred to an audiologist for an in-depth evaluation. I should find out by the end of this week when it will be.

Now you see why I say she is constantly amazing me? I am just thankful that it is nothing serious (I know some would argue a hearing loss is serious, but I can deal with it). TJ has a great attitude about it, too. When I first shared with him that I thought Teagan couldn't hear, he just shrugged his shoulders and said, "So I guess I'll have to learn sign language." Would you expect anything less from him?

Comments

jenn said…
Boo was 9lbs 13oz at birth!

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Thirteen #4

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 places I have been or would like to go. . . 1. Santiago, Chile, South America This was my first trip when I was in the military. It was awesome! 2. Virginia Beach, Virginia, U.S. Traveled here with the military. I had a great time, although I only stayed for a few nights. It was too cold to swim in the ocean but it was nice to see the beach. 3. Palermo, Sicily, Europe This is my family's roots. My great-grandparents immigrated to the U.S. from Palermo, and it was so awesome to be able to share in my heritage. I traveled here while in the military, and I loved every bit of this country. Mt. Etna is also located in Sicily, and on several occasions (I've been to Sicily several times), Mt. Etna was erupting. It was majestic to see, especially at night. Too many highlights to say what my favorite part of this country was, but the memories I hold will definitely last a lifetime. 4. Rota, Spain, Europe Again, traveled here with the military.

Thursday Thirteen #3

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 jobs I have held. . . 1. Special Olympics Swim Coach Best job ever and very rewarding! 2. Preschool/Youth swim instructor My first job (I volunteered until I got hired on at the Y, then I was paid.) 3. Lifeguard This was my first paid job. 4. Crew Chief/aircraft mechanic on the KC-10 I loved it- I saw the world on this plane and pushed myself the farthest mentally and physically I ever have or ever will again. Of course I missed my family and friends, but if I had to do it all over again, I would in a heartbeat. 5. Debrief personnel I talked with aircrews after they landed about their flight/mission. I learned the logistical side of flying. 6. Tool Crib personnel I gave the mechanics tools for various jobs needed to fix the airplane. I also inventoried and ordered new tools, and that was fun. Until this job, I had no idea that tool companies have a representative drive around in a truck full of tools for people to use and try. It was during t

Thursday Thirteen #6

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 Pictures from my life. . . Th, May 2007 Ta, May 2007 At the OBX, June 2007 Ta, OBX 2007 T.G. and Jenna, 1 of our dogs Th turning 5 in Sep. 2007 Eating cake, Sep. 2007 Me and TJ at the Wilds At the zoo, Oct. 2007 Nov. 2007 Thanksgiving 2007 Christmas 2007 All of us Get the Thursday Thirteen code here! The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted! View More Thursday Thirteen Participants