Skip to main content

First Day of Kindergarten


Opening his book last night


All ready to go!


Th started Kindergarten today! He didn’t get to bed last night until 9:30pm, but I wasn’t too concerned because he fell asleep yesterday afternoon for about 1 ½ hours after we got home from swimming. I gave him his book, and he loved it! He couldn’t wait to read it.

This morning he woke up eager and ready to go. He quickly dressed and ran downstairs for breakfast. After breakfast, he brushed his teeth and combed his hair, and was happy he had some time to watch “Curious George” before we had to leave. I did okay with my tears while we were in our neighborhood, but as soon as I hit the main road, I got teary-eyed. I tried not to let my emotions show, but apparently I didn’t do such a good job. Th asked me why I was crying, and I just told him the air was blowing in my eyes and making them water.

He was full of questions on the way to school, and was getting more nervous the closer we got. He didn’t want me to walk him inside, but I insisted just to ensure he knew exactly where his classroom was. He relented after making sure Ta and T.G. weren’t staying. When we got to his class, he stood in the doorway for a moment, turned and looked back at me, and then went inside to greet his teacher. After receiving his instructions from her, he put his lunch in the refrigerator and hung up his bag. Then he came over to hug and kiss me. I know he’ll do fine; he just wanted to get the day going. For all of us, the fear of the unknown is the worst kind of fear. He knows tomorrow it will be all over and he’ll have nothing to worry about.

As I was leaving his class and walking back to the van, I saw several friends of mine and they unknowingly helped me to keep from crying like a baby. It was nice to talk to them for a few minutes, and many of my fears dissipated. I know TJ and I made the right decision with this school, but of course not having Th in my care for an ENTIRE day is difficult for this control-freak of a mom.

We left a few minutes later, and on the walk down the sidewalk to the van, Ta piped up, “I miss Th.” Then, on the drive home, he asked if we could swim today. I explained to him that I had some things to do around the house, but I would set up the rocket sprinkler later for him. His reply, “No, I don’t want to do the rocket sprinkler without Th.” My heart was again heavy but I know once preschool begins, he’ll get back into a routine without having Th around all the time.

Well, I am off to attempt to clean a little bit while I only have 2 kids to contend with. T.G. is not feeling well (she’s been running a fever since yesterday afternoon) and neither child has been sleeping well. If they get too fussy, I may have them take a little rest in their rooms. I didn’t sleep well last night either (not that I have been!), and have been awake since 4:45am. I am definitely going to take advantage of a nap today! I only have a few days left before I begin school and my nap time ends! :(

*I am thankful for the Montessori school and the teachers assigned to work with Th.*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Thirteen #3

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 jobs I have held. . . 1. Special Olympics Swim Coach Best job ever and very rewarding! 2. Preschool/Youth swim instructor My first job (I volunteered until I got hired on at the Y, then I was paid.) 3. Lifeguard This was my first paid job. 4. Crew Chief/aircraft mechanic on the KC-10 I loved it- I saw the world on this plane and pushed myself the farthest mentally and physically I ever have or ever will again. Of course I missed my family and friends, but if I had to do it all over again, I would in a heartbeat. 5. Debrief personnel I talked with aircrews after they landed about their flight/mission. I learned the logistical side of flying. 6. Tool Crib personnel I gave the mechanics tools for various jobs needed to fix the airplane. I also inventoried and ordered new tools, and that was fun. Until this job, I had no idea that tool companies have a representative drive around in a truck full of tools for people to use and try. It was during t

Thursday Thirteen #4

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 places I have been or would like to go. . . 1. Santiago, Chile, South America This was my first trip when I was in the military. It was awesome! 2. Virginia Beach, Virginia, U.S. Traveled here with the military. I had a great time, although I only stayed for a few nights. It was too cold to swim in the ocean but it was nice to see the beach. 3. Palermo, Sicily, Europe This is my family's roots. My great-grandparents immigrated to the U.S. from Palermo, and it was so awesome to be able to share in my heritage. I traveled here while in the military, and I loved every bit of this country. Mt. Etna is also located in Sicily, and on several occasions (I've been to Sicily several times), Mt. Etna was erupting. It was majestic to see, especially at night. Too many highlights to say what my favorite part of this country was, but the memories I hold will definitely last a lifetime. 4. Rota, Spain, Europe Again, traveled here with the military.

Thursday Thirteen #6

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 Pictures from my life. . . Th, May 2007 Ta, May 2007 At the OBX, June 2007 Ta, OBX 2007 T.G. and Jenna, 1 of our dogs Th turning 5 in Sep. 2007 Eating cake, Sep. 2007 Me and TJ at the Wilds At the zoo, Oct. 2007 Nov. 2007 Thanksgiving 2007 Christmas 2007 All of us Get the Thursday Thirteen code here! The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted! View More Thursday Thirteen Participants