Skip to main content

In the words of Mimi. . .

Cancer stinks!

I haven't posted in a few days because, well, I just haven't felt like posting. Through blogging, I have found some really amazing people that I want to share about. My heartstrings have been pulled all week because a 13 year old boy, Cody, passed away due to cancer. Most of the blogs I follow are actually CarePages (CP), which are created to allow friends and family follow updates on people who have medical illnesses. All except one of the CPs I follow are kids with cancer; the one that is not is actually a family who just delivered a baby girl, Molly, with CDH. Molly only lived on this earth 19 minutes.

Some would say I am torturing myself by reading these stories and becoming so emotionally involved. BUT, it is an opportunity for me to pray for them, and also realize how truly blessed I am that my children are healthy. Plus, all of the families are an inspiration and wonderful example of strength and faith in the Lord, especially during times of trial. And the Lord knows I need all the examples I can get! :)

So, without further adieu, here are the blogs and CPs if you'd like to visit (which I encourage):

Dawn: Because I Said So- I've been following her blog since July of last year. She is just plain funny and I can so relate to many of her posts. Through her, I was introduced to:

Mimi, Julian's mom (Julian passed away in January from brain cancer at the age of 4). Her CP is JuliansWorld and her blog is Take My Life. . .Already Yours. Through her, I was introduced to:

Haley, a teen girl in her freshman year of college battling cancer. She amazes me with her wit, her charm, and her extraordinary strength and outlook on life. Haley's CP is HaleyWorld. Please visit her!

Also through Mimi, I found Renee Garcia's blog and CP. Now, I feel a strong connection to Renee and we have emailed back and forth a few times. She is from California and actually spent time at the base where TJ and I were stationed. She and her family now live in Tennessee. Her husband is in the Army (currently deployed for 1 year) and her and I are the same age. Like me, they have 4 children and they all begin with the letter 'T'. Just kidding! They all begin with the letter 'K'. Her 3 year old, Kennedy, was born with Down Syndrome and has Leukemia, along with a host of other health issues. Renee is a true blessing and encouragement, and ends each post with what or who she is thankful for. I plan to start doing that as it is a reminder of God's goodness to us all. Go visit Renee's blog, Life With My Special Ks and Kennedy's CP.

I found Cody through Renee and Mimi both, and only recently started following his page. As I mentioned above, he passed away earlier in the week. His funeral is today.

So you see, I sort of feel like my menial complaints are nothing compared to what each of the above families are living. I will take a flooded playroom, broken glasses for the umpteenth time, fighting among siblings, and dinnertime craziness over worrying about how much longer my child will be with me on this earth and experiencing chemo treatments, feeding tubes, and everything else that goes with caring for a child with cancer. All of the families (and so many more, too many more!) need our prayers and support and encouragement. Please stop by and let them know you are thinking of and praying for them. Try to imagine what they face each day. Most of the children are too young to fully understand what is happening to them, and they know medical terms that I myself have never heard of. These parents and families face stress that can't compare to any that we have ever known, and friends and words of encouragement, along with a strong faith in God, are what get them through these difficult days.

I am thankful for the many wonderful people I have "met" through blogging who help me to appreciate my family more.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Isn't it amazing what we can teach and learn through blogging?

I want you to know that as much as they are an inspiration to you you are to me the same.

When we lost our daughter I immediatley turned to God and our faith in His promises to us. There have been times when I have questioned Him or been angry with Him but on those days I come here to your blog to renew my faith. You are an amazingly inspirational woman and the scripute you share always touches my heart in the right spot.

I have learned so much from you and am so grateful that God brought you into my life! Thank you for sharing your life with me and for sharing your faith with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Thirteen #4

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 places I have been or would like to go. . . 1. Santiago, Chile, South America This was my first trip when I was in the military. It was awesome! 2. Virginia Beach, Virginia, U.S. Traveled here with the military. I had a great time, although I only stayed for a few nights. It was too cold to swim in the ocean but it was nice to see the beach. 3. Palermo, Sicily, Europe This is my family's roots. My great-grandparents immigrated to the U.S. from Palermo, and it was so awesome to be able to share in my heritage. I traveled here while in the military, and I loved every bit of this country. Mt. Etna is also located in Sicily, and on several occasions (I've been to Sicily several times), Mt. Etna was erupting. It was majestic to see, especially at night. Too many highlights to say what my favorite part of this country was, but the memories I hold will definitely last a lifetime. 4. Rota, Spain, Europe Again, traveled here with the military.

Thursday Thirteen #3

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 jobs I have held. . . 1. Special Olympics Swim Coach Best job ever and very rewarding! 2. Preschool/Youth swim instructor My first job (I volunteered until I got hired on at the Y, then I was paid.) 3. Lifeguard This was my first paid job. 4. Crew Chief/aircraft mechanic on the KC-10 I loved it- I saw the world on this plane and pushed myself the farthest mentally and physically I ever have or ever will again. Of course I missed my family and friends, but if I had to do it all over again, I would in a heartbeat. 5. Debrief personnel I talked with aircrews after they landed about their flight/mission. I learned the logistical side of flying. 6. Tool Crib personnel I gave the mechanics tools for various jobs needed to fix the airplane. I also inventoried and ordered new tools, and that was fun. Until this job, I had no idea that tool companies have a representative drive around in a truck full of tools for people to use and try. It was during t

Thursday Thirteen #6

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 Pictures from my life. . . Th, May 2007 Ta, May 2007 At the OBX, June 2007 Ta, OBX 2007 T.G. and Jenna, 1 of our dogs Th turning 5 in Sep. 2007 Eating cake, Sep. 2007 Me and TJ at the Wilds At the zoo, Oct. 2007 Nov. 2007 Thanksgiving 2007 Christmas 2007 All of us Get the Thursday Thirteen code here! The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted! View More Thursday Thirteen Participants