Skip to main content

Busy as a Bee

I did it! By the grace of God and my supportive husband, I successfully completed another semester of college. I gratefully took my last final exam yesterday morning, and we celebrated the end of the semester by going to Carowinds for a little bit of family time.

I haven’t had time to write, in part because I was studying for exams, but also because we’re just so busy. The Lord has provided us with a home that's conducive to entertaining, and we like to honor Him by inviting others into our home. I host events for the MOMS Club on a weekly or bi-weekly basis, but outside of that, we have entertained family and friends the past 3 weekends in a row. Although the preparations can be tiring, we enjoy the fellowship it provides.

Last night we had a couple over that we just recently met. The ironic thing is they are both from Ohio, near my hometown. We had a great time getting to know them, and their infant son, on a more personal basis. After the kids went to sleep, we played a couple of rounds of “Beyond Balderdash” and enjoyed some munchies.

In my family, we didn’t really do a lot of gatherings until I was older, in my teens, because of our physical location. I have lived a lot of different places, and we didn’t move closer to family until I was 13. I have many fond memories of family gatherings, and I know I am making memories now for my own children. More importantly, though, I am teaching and modeling for my children several life lessons: hospitality, serving others, and putting the needs of others ahead of their own.

I try not to focus on the cleanliness of my home- with 3 kids it’s nearly impossible to have a clean home- but rather on the importance of welcoming others into our home despite its condition. We just shove everything aside and make room at the table! 1 Peter 4:9 says, “Use hospitality one to another without grudging.” I can already see the seeds I have planted bearing fruit- Th asks daily who we’re having over as he sets aside toys he hopes to share with his friends. No grudging or complaining there!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Thirteen #3

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 jobs I have held. . . 1. Special Olympics Swim Coach Best job ever and very rewarding! 2. Preschool/Youth swim instructor My first job (I volunteered until I got hired on at the Y, then I was paid.) 3. Lifeguard This was my first paid job. 4. Crew Chief/aircraft mechanic on the KC-10 I loved it- I saw the world on this plane and pushed myself the farthest mentally and physically I ever have or ever will again. Of course I missed my family and friends, but if I had to do it all over again, I would in a heartbeat. 5. Debrief personnel I talked with aircrews after they landed about their flight/mission. I learned the logistical side of flying. 6. Tool Crib personnel I gave the mechanics tools for various jobs needed to fix the airplane. I also inventoried and ordered new tools, and that was fun. Until this job, I had no idea that tool companies have a representative drive around in a truck full of tools for people to use and try. It was during t

Thursday Thirteen #4

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 places I have been or would like to go. . . 1. Santiago, Chile, South America This was my first trip when I was in the military. It was awesome! 2. Virginia Beach, Virginia, U.S. Traveled here with the military. I had a great time, although I only stayed for a few nights. It was too cold to swim in the ocean but it was nice to see the beach. 3. Palermo, Sicily, Europe This is my family's roots. My great-grandparents immigrated to the U.S. from Palermo, and it was so awesome to be able to share in my heritage. I traveled here while in the military, and I loved every bit of this country. Mt. Etna is also located in Sicily, and on several occasions (I've been to Sicily several times), Mt. Etna was erupting. It was majestic to see, especially at night. Too many highlights to say what my favorite part of this country was, but the memories I hold will definitely last a lifetime. 4. Rota, Spain, Europe Again, traveled here with the military.

Thursday Thirteen #6

Thirteen Things about South Carolina Mom 13 Pictures from my life. . . Th, May 2007 Ta, May 2007 At the OBX, June 2007 Ta, OBX 2007 T.G. and Jenna, 1 of our dogs Th turning 5 in Sep. 2007 Eating cake, Sep. 2007 Me and TJ at the Wilds At the zoo, Oct. 2007 Nov. 2007 Thanksgiving 2007 Christmas 2007 All of us Get the Thursday Thirteen code here! The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted! View More Thursday Thirteen Participants